Rotary Seals Bring Even More Sweet Success to the Chocolate Industry
The chocolate industry in the United States has a long and proud history. Today, sales of chocolate in this country have reached about $22.4 billion, and there’s no sign of their slowing anytime soon.
A lot of time and effort goes into producing the sweet confection, including processing that involves holding tanks, melting tanks, conches, cocoa refiners sugar screw conveyors and mixing equipment. At each of these stages, leaky seals can mean waste, the chance of contamination and other serious problems.
As in all kinds of food processing, the focus is always on two vital issues:
- Efficiency: What can be done to save time and money?
- Safety: How can the product be kept safe, thus preventing expensive recalls and shutdowns, not to mention threats to human health?
The CinchSeal solution to efficiency and safety
Until now, seals that keep the product from getting out and contaminants from getting in have been less than ideal performers. They tend to wear out quickly, and they’re difficult to replace and maintain. The problems with seals have been in their design.
CinchSeal rotary shaft seals have changed the dynamic significantly. They feature innovations that have far superior performance that has led to important advances in productivity as well as safety.
Before / After
Before we thoroughly explain the advantages chocolate manufacturers experience with our Rotary Shaft Seals, we though it would be best to show you exactly what we mean. Below is a series of before and after photos. The before photos show chocolate building up due to an inefficent seal. The after pictures clearly depict zero waste when using our Rotary Shaft Seals.
What big changes have CinchSeal rotary seals introduced?
This brings the subject back to design. In fact, safety and productivity are built into CinchSeal rotary seals’ design. CinchSeal rotary seals:
- Prevent leakage with an FDA-approved silicone elastomer that moves with the shaft. This action avoids damage to the shaft, which can result in leakage. It also means less maintenance and fewer replacements
- Stop leaks using rotary cups leaving optimum lead space against stationary faces
- Offer superior performance with air purging
- Reduce the chances of contamination and leakage with a large shaft-seal interface surface
In terms of keeping costs down and improving productivity and efficiency, CinchSeal rotary seals come out far ahead of the alternatives. For example, CinchSeal seals offer:
- Faster, easier repairs because split rotary shaft seals remove the need for unbolting the housing
- Simple installation, eliminating the need for outside installation expertise
- Quick seal renewal with repair kits that do the job by replacing only the elastomer and stator plates
All these factors, and the fact that the seals have been designed in consultation with the United States Department of Agriculture have contributed to CinchSeal rotary shaft seals’ earning USDA certification for poultry and dairy. They also meet strict U.S. Food and Drug Administration requirements, earning the USDA “accepted” designation.
What are the alternatives to a CinchSeal rotary shaft seal?
As mentioned earlier, previous attempts to create truly effective seals have been less than laudable. As demand rises and competition stiffens in the chocolate industry, there’s less and less room for waste—of time and product.
Alternatives such as lip seals, O-rings and mechanical packing just don’t stack up. They can’t stand the pressure, so to speak. The situation calls for innovation, and CinchSeal rotary shaft seals have provided it.
Things to remember about CinchSeal rotary seals
- Safety comes first. CinchSeal rotary shaft seals provide superior performance in preventing leakage and contamination, keeping the product safe.
- Productivity comes second. With CinchSeal rotary seals, production interruptions are far less frequent.
- Cost savings come third. Preventing leakage and reducing maintenance and replacement save money, and CinchSeal rotary seals do it all.
Since 1994, CinchSeal has been a major manufacturer of rotary shaft seals for screw conveyors, ribbon blenders and all kinds of bulk handling equipment. CinchSeal products serve as replacements and upgrades that make the need for machine replacement less likely.
More information is available by contacting CinchSeal. Quotes and drawings are guaranteed to be available in 24 hours. Custom engineering usually takes 10 days.