What are Rotary Shaft Seals?
Maybe that headline question should be rephrased to “Why are rotary shaft seals finding their way into more and more industries?” After all, these innovative mechanisms are becoming the standard as everyone from food processors to electric vehicle and cement manufacturers replace or upgrade their equipment.
The simple answer is that rotary shaft seals, such as those designed and manufactured by CinchSeal, are just better than alternatives like O-rings, braided packing, mechanical face seals, lip seals and others. They are a major improvement in these areas:
- Design and performance
Innovative Rotary Shaft Seal Design for High Performance
The purpose of high pressure rotary shaft seals is straightforward: to keep product in and contamination out. They do it by creating a seal around the rotating shaft of the screw conveyor, ribbon blender, bulk handling equipment or other machinery that moves product along.
The problem has always been not with the seals’ purpose but with the shaft seal design. The rotary shaft seal assembly has largely solved the design issues, which has greatly improved performance.
These are the design problems that have needed to be addressed:
- Rotary seals’ alternatives, such as lip seals, feature rather small surfaces responsible for grabbing the rotating shaft, increasing the likelihood of contaminant leakage.
- Other rotary shaft seal types have trouble holding high pressure, so they don’t perform well in challenging environments
- Harsh environments, especially, cause other seals to wear out quickly, increasing maintenance and replacement costs
- Other seals create friction that damages the rotating shaft because they’re stationary and so rub against the shaft rather than moving with it.
CinchSeal rotary shaft seals offer design solutions to these performance-damaging shortcomings:
- They provide a much larger shaft/seal interface surface, so they create a far superior seal against leakage and contamination
- For even better leak prevention, CinchSeal rotary shaft seals offer polished stainless steel-plate and PTFE rotor cups
- An elastomer that spins with the shaft rather than rubbing against it prevents damage to the shaft
- High pressure rotary shaft seals feature air or nitrogen purging that pushes the rotors against the stator, closing the sliding interface and stopping leakage. This creates an air barrier that keeps product out of the seal and allows excellent performance under high pressure.
- Offer a “split” design that makes installation and conversion simple, so it does not require bringing in outside installers.
- Can be custom designed, so you can get rotary shaft shaft seals by size. Your seals will have dimensions made specifically for a given application, reducing the risks of problems created by trying to put a square peg into a round hole
CinchSeal rotary shaft seals perform so well that they alone carry United States Department of Agriculture certification for poultry and dairy processing. This means the seals can be trusted to prevent cross-contamination and help keep food safe. But the seals’ high performance is evident across many industries.
Our Rotary Seals Offer Bottom Line Cost-Effectiveness
Innovative design has been instrumental in bringing about CinchSeal rotary seals’ high levels of performance, and excellent performance leads to cost savings. For example, CinchSeal rotary seals:
- Stop material loss
- Significantly reduce the need for maintenance and its attendant material costs and lost productivity
- Prevent bearing failure and shaft damage that lead to expensive repairs and replacement
- Function exceptionally well in harsh environments, reducing the frequency time-consuming and costly maintenance, repair and replacement
- Help ensure employee safety by keeping the work environment free of contamination, thus reducing the associated costs of accidents and illness
- Provide easy repair and maintenance to save time and money
Two points stand out when considering the place of rotary shaft seals for any industry:
- Seals are vital for high productivity and, often, for safety. Rotary shaft seals are an innovative answer to the problems that plague other kinds of seal.
- Maintenance and replacement of seals can be expensive and time-consuming. Rotary seals like those made by CinchSeal reduce the frequency and expense of maintenance and make replacement easier and far less frequent.
Since 1994, CinchSeal has been a major manufacturer of rotary shaft seals. CinchSeal products serve as replacements and upgrades that make the need for machine replacement less likely.
For more information on rotary shaft seal for your business or rotary seal design, contact CinchSeal today! Quotes and drawings are guaranteed to be available in 24 hours. Custom engineering usually takes 10 days.