Rotary Shaft Seals Help Power the Protein Powder Industry
Business is booming in the protein powder industry. As of 2016, according to Grandview Research, the value of the protein supplements market worldwide was $12.4 billion. It’s expected to grow at an annual rate of 6.3 percent through 2025.
That’s a lot of protein powder, and manufacturers will need to gear up to accommodate the growth. Along the way, they’ll have to keep a few important considerations in mind:
- How to make processing as efficient and productive as possible
- How to make sure high product safety standards in place and working
Maintaining and increasing high production levels while ensuring product safety isn’t just about bigger and better processing machinery. In fact, one of the keys to success might be held by a relatively small player that’s often overlooked—until, of course, it quits working. That unheralded team member is the seal—in particular, the rotary shaft seal or radial shaft seal—that keeps the product where it belongs and protects it from contamination.
Why rotary shaft seals?
Making protein powder is another kind of food processing. It requires that raw materials move through a system that separates out the target material—in this case proteins that contain many amino acids. Moving the material calls for a variety of conveyors whose construction includes a turning shaft. That shaft must be sealed to prevent product from leaking out and contaminants from leaking in.
Over the years, many sealing methods have been used, but they all had serious problems, such as damage to the shaft, inability to hold under high pressure and the need for frequent maintenance and replacement. Because of these weaknesses, these seals often allow leakage of product and contaminants, something that just can’t happen in protein powder processing.
Innovative products like split rotary shaft seals from CinchSeal have eliminated these shortcomings.
The benefits of CinchSeal rotary split seals for shafts
It’s worth repeating that a priority in any kind of food processing, including protein powder production, is safety. And safety is closely tied to shaft seal design and performance. CinchSeal rotary seals offer a number of advantages:
CinchSeal split rotary shaft seals are designed to perform. That’s the reason they carry United States Department of Agriculture certification for poultry and dairy. Additionally, they meet U.S. Food and Drug Administration requirements.
Excellent contamination prevention
The seals feature:
- An FDA-approved silicon elastomer that both stops material from leaking and moves with the shaft to prevent friction damage, reducing maintenance and replacement costs
- Rotor cups that compress with optimum load against stationary faces to seal potential leak paths, adding another layer of protection
- Air or nitrogen purging resulting in higher pressure inside the seal than outside the seal, in effect forming air purge shaft seals that ensure optimum performance under high pressure
- Large shaft/seal interface surface to reduce the possibility of contamination and leakage
Easy, cost-effective installation and maintenance.
To keep costs down, CinchSeal rotary shaft seals offer:
- Split internal parts that make repairs possible without unbolting the housing
- Repair kits that renew the seal with just new elastomer and stator plates
- Simple radial shaft seal installation that doesn’t require outside expertise
As equipment upgrades and new installations become necessary to keep up with growth, companies in the protein powder industry would do well to note that:
- Safety is the priority in powder processing because, not only do safety failures endanger human health, but they also can be financially devastating
- Shaft seals are critical to preventing leakage and contamination, even though they might not be top of mind
- Rotary shaft seals like the ones CinchSeal makes are proven to outperform their counterparts in every area
Since 1994, CinchSeal has been a major manufacturer or rotary shaft seals for screw conveyors, ribbon blenders and all kinds of bulk handling equipment. CinchSeal products service as replacements and major upgrades that make the need for machine replacement less likely.
More information is available by contacting CinchSeal. Quotes and drawings are guaranteed to be available in 24 hours. Custom engineering usually takes 10 days.