4 Benefits of Using FDA Approved Rotary Seals In Food Processing
FDA-approved rotary shaft seals by CinchSeal offer a number of advantages over other shaft sealing technologies used in food processing industries like bakery, spice, meat and poultry, chocolate, cheese, beverage, sugar, and dairy. They last longer, require less maintenance, prevent leaks more reliably, and are easier to maintain or replace. To look more closely at the long list of advantages rotary shaft seals offer, here are four main reasons why CinchSeal is becoming the top choice for food processing seals.
Certification: FDA Approved Rotary Shaft Seals
Food processing facilities follow strict safety regulations that benefit consumers and industry workers alike. It is therefore critical that mixing tanks and other processing equipment have proper seals that keep product in and unwanted contaminants out. Faulty seals can lead to spills and contamination that are not only dangerous to workers, but can also result in costly downtime and product recalls.
Rotary shaft seals by CinchSeal are designed for use in food processing in consultation with the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Our seals are made with USDA certified materials for poultry and dairy while meeting strict U.S. Food and Drug Administration requirements. The USDA “accepted” designation sets CinchSeal apart from competitors, providing assurance that our rotary seals will prevent, not contribute to, contamination.
Developed in cooperation with the USDA, CinchSeal’s hygienic rotary seals are second to none when it comes to preventing leakage and contamination. Our food-handling seals feature:
- FDA-approved silicone elastomer molded slightly smaller than the shaft to achieve an interference fit that prevents material from leaking out
- “Rotor cups” that, as the elastomer turns with the shaft, compress with optimum load against stationary faces to seal potential leak paths
- Air or nitrogen purging to push rotors against the stator to close the sliding interface and stop material from exiting or entering the screw conveyor,
- Higher pressure inside the seal than outside, forming an air barrier to keep product outside the seal
CinchSeal rotary shaft seals provide thorough protection against contamination while remaining cost-effective by design.
In addition to the design elements described previously, CinchSeal shaft seals feature:
- A much larger surface for the shaft/seal interface than lip seals can provide, reducing the chance of contamination and leakage
- Boot-mounted rotor cups that allow the rotary assembly to float with the shaft and accept the 1/4” misalignment common to bulk handling equipment
- Elastomer that spins with the shaft and, unlike stationary mechanical packing and lip seals, prevents rotating shaft damage
- Self-cleaning and self-lubricating by design so the seals operate dry
- Split internal parts to make future repairs possible without having to unbolt the housing
- Repair kits that make the seal like new with only elastomer and stator plates
All these features together lead to the kind of performance that ensures cost-effective processing.
CinchSeal rotary shaft seals are cost-effective for food processing and offer the lowest cost of operation, because they:
- Eliminate material loss, greatly reducing maintenance cost and preventing bearing failure and shaft damage
- Eliminate shaft wear
- Withstand the most rigorous environments in the food industry
- Help ensure a safe working environment by minimizing area contamination
- Offer easy repair and maintenance
With CinchSeal, sealing bulk handling and mixing equipment comes down to these points:
- To be truly cost-effective, rotary shaft sealing solutions must be long-lasting, leak-free, easy to maintain, and reasonably priced
- Relying on outdated seal designs such as lip seals and mechanical packing seldom provides a cost-effective answer
- It’s important to look at how well every part of a rotary seal functions and how well it performs that function
Since 1994, CinchSeal has been a major manufacturer of rotary shaft seals for screw conveyors, ribbon blenders, and all kinds of bulk handling equipment. CinchSeal products serve as replacements and major upgrades that make the need for machine replacement less likely. For more information, contact us or request a quote today.